Recently, Instagram announced a new suite of tools for brands, addressing the need for measurement of paid and organic content on the very popular photo sharing app.
Before Facebook could tout their extensive capabilities for tracking and measuring advertising impact, marketers and the ad industry were very critical of social because success was difficult to quantify, putting its value into question. But then we could measure the impact of Facebook (paid and owned) advertising as a standalone and while looking at the full conversion path of a consumer and now social is a critical channel in the marketing mix.
Instagram has clearly learned a valuable lesson from its owner’s past, and has made the rollout of analytics a priority for its business users. Now that marketers will be able to track how they’re increasing brand awareness, the performance of paid campaigns and engagement across various ads and campaigns, Instagram immediately becomes more valuable to marketers.
Now that we have the measurement covered, why is Instagram a necessary component of the marketers’ media plan?
- Viewability Unless you are in a mad dash for the bottom of the feed, scrolling through Instagram photos is pretty steady and controlled, meaning people are almost always going to view your ad because it consumes the entirety of the page – this is just the nature (and layout) of the beast.
- Visual Marketing “Images appeal to emotions, they strike a chord with consumers, and resonate across cultures.” The impact is greater and faster with a visual, compared to writing. Visuals also drive more engagement among consumers. Being entirely photo-centric, this is exactly why Instagram is such a powerful tool for marketers.
- Audience With more than 200 million active monthly users on Instagram, the audience reach is incredible. Because the app is linked to Facebook, the first party data is extremely rich, allowing marketers to hone in to very specific segments based on demographic, geo, interests and more.
Predictions for Instagram’s Future
- Instagram will become an attributable step on the path to conversion. The next logical step for Instagram would be the ability to click through to websites from ads, allowing marketers to quantify DR efforts.
- Instagram will integrate with platforms, like IgnitionOne’s Digital Marketing Suite.
- Paid ads on Instagram are very expensive and prices probably won’t decrease much. Instagram inventory is and should be limited, but ad analytics is giving advertisers a look at WHY Instagram is such a powerful tool for branding and eventually for direct response.