Today we released a mid-quarter report highlighting another strong Thanksgiving weekend for digital marketing. Mobile devices represented a growth area for retail marketing, with huge increases in search spending for smartphones.
Digital marketing figures are released quarterly by IgnitionOne, as we manage more than $1.5 billion in online advertising.
Key findings in the report:
- Mobile phones dominate US Search: Mobile continues to empower consumer engagement. Not surprisingly, mobile phones saw the largest growth among device types (including tablets) at 184% YoY.
- Sleepy Saturday wakes up to much higher paid search activity: Last year Saturday was the only day to show negative YoY growth (-7%); however, this year reveals a much different story. While Black Friday had strong YoY growth at 77%, the retail momentum continued into Saturday, with 50% YoY growth overall.
- Desktop search impressions drop: US paid search impressions for desktop dropped 16.2% YoY during the Thanksgiving weekend and into Cyber Monday. It may be due to a shift in shopping patterns with more people out earlier as well as the continued trend of advertisers pulling out of the Google partner network.
- Cyber Monday growth stalls except on Mobile: Cyber Monday saw relatively low growth with respect to last year (36% compared to 60%) with the exception of mobile devices which saw 272% growth YoY.
- Programmatic Display Grows in Spend and Effectiveness: US retail spend in programmatic display increased 43% YoY along with conversions which were up 58% as advertisers delivered fewer, more targeted and effective ads.
“Mobile devices are changing behaviors of consumers across the board and extending the promotional power of the holiday weekend,” said Roger Barnette, President of IgnitionOne. “The strong results this past weekend show the savviness of marketers to reach consumers where they are and leverage the entire weekend to drive sales through digital marketing.”
This report is the latest in a series of reports from IgnitionOne, reviewing trends across the online advertising landscape. This and previous quarterly reports can be downloaded at http://www.ignitionone.com/thought-leadership/.